Round 3 of Trope-ical Readathon will begin August 1, 2020 in your own timezone! This readathon will be a team-based readathon throughout the entire month of August. There are five teams to choose from:
- Team Romance
- Team Science Fiction/Fantasy
- Team Mystery/Horror/Thriller
- Team Contemporary/Literary/Historical Fiction
- Team Non-Fiction/Poetry
How you choose your team is up to you but the basic idea was to have each of you choose whichever genre you most enjoy reading. There are 13 common challenges that everyone can do and 2 team-specific challenges, making a total of 15 possible challenges to complete. Each challenge is based on a common trope found in books. Additionally, each team has a “Team Book” in their genre that they (and anyone else) can read for extra points!
There are two ways to complete a common challenge: either you read a book with the given trope OR you read a book that satisfies the alternate prompt based off of that trope. You cannot double/triple/quadruple/etc. up on any challenges.
The challenges can be found in the following graphic. If you need more information on each challenge, or if you can’t view the graphic, detailed descriptions are given below.
- Absent/Dead Parent(s) Trope: Read a book where the MC’s parents are either absent throughout the book or have passed away prior to the start of the book. Alternatively, read a book that has more than one “parent” (i.e. multiple authors).
- Strange Names Trope: Read a book where a character has a weird name (this is not an excuse for you to be racist 😒). This challenge is actually based off the “Names as Nouns Trope” but you are free to use other examples of strange names such as Cather and Wren in Fangirl, or Hiro Protagonist in Snow Crash. Alternatively, read a book that starts with the same letter as your name.
- Outbreak/Pandemic Trope: Read a book featuring an outbreak or a pandemic. Alternatively, read a book that is part of a series.
- Forbidden Romance Trope: Read a book involving a forbidden or off-limits romance. Alternatively, read a book that is–or has been–banned.
- Dystopia Trope: Read a book that takes place in a dystopia. Alternatively, read a book that is more than 500 pages long.
- Blast from the Past Trope: Read a book where the MC encounters someone from their past. Alternatively, read a book written before the year 2000.
- Mixed Media Trope: Read a book that includes letters, texts, emails, etc. Alternatively, listen to an audiobook.
- Artificial Intelligence Trope: Read a book that features an AI. Alternatively, read an ebook.
- Amnesia Trope: Read a book where one of characters doesn’t remember who they are. Alternatively, read a book that you forgot about on your TBR or bookshelf.
- Enemies to Lovers/Enemies to Friends Trope: Read a book that involves enemies learning to love/like each other. This includes hate-to-love/like as well. Alternatively, read a book that you previously DNFed.
- Chosen One Trope: Read a book where the MC is “The Chosen One”. Alternatively, read a book that someone else has chosen (or recommended) for you.
- The New Kid in Town Trope: Read a book where the MC(s) have just moved to a new place. Alternatively, read a genre you don’t usually read.
- Retelling Trope: Read a book that is a retelling. Alternatively, read a book that has been adapted to a TV show and/or film.
As mentioned above, each team has 2 team-specific challenges based off of tropes commonly found in those genres along with a Team Book.
Unlike the common challenges, team challenges do not have alternative prompts. If a book outside your team genre satisfies your team challenge, that still counts! You can choose to read any or all of the Team Books for extra points but they CANNOT be used to satisfy any challenges.
You can read the team challenges and books by clicking through the gallery below.
TEAM BOOKS UPDATE 1
Don’t Ask Me Where I’m From by Jennifer De Leon comes out mid-August so you may read A Burning by Megha Majumdar in place of it. You do not get extra points for reading both (unless you use one of them for a common/team challenge).
TEAM BOOKS UPDATE 2
After a concern was brought up, we now recognize that by choosing newer books, we’ve excluded readers who do not have the means to purchase/borrow these books. Now is a particularly hard time to get cheap/free books with Covid-19 making libraries and book stores less accessible.
The following Alternative Team Books may be used IN PLACE of the original Team Books. You do not get extra points for reading multiple team books for the same team (unless you’re using the extra book for a common/team challenge).
Team Romance: The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
Team SFF: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
Team MHT: The Things She’s Seen by Ambelin Kwaymullina and Ezekiel Kwaymullina
Team Fiction: Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse
Team NFP: The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
Since each team will have a different amount of members, scoring will be based off of average points earned. The point breakdown is as follows:
- Common Challenges: 50 POINTS EACH
- Team Challenges: 100 POINTS EACH
- Team Books: 150 POINTS EACH
- Pages Read: 1 POINT PER PAGE
Graphic novels CAN be counted towards pages read but CANNOT be used to satisfy any challenges. Only books equivalent to novellas and up (17,500 words and above) can count for challenges. For audiobooks, please use the Goodreads page count to calculate pages read.
Each day, you can click on the “Update Your Points” button above to fill out how many pages you read and what challenges you’ve completed. If you forget to update on a certain date, don’t worry! The forms will all remain active until the end of the readathon.
Giveaways (International as long as Book Depository ships to you)
There will be 2 giveaways for registered participants (and 3 total winners)! Winners will receive a book of their choice (max $30) from Book Depository.
- Giveaway #1: To enter, all you have to do is share your planned TBR (full or partial). This can be via your blog, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc. Just make sure that you either tag us in it on Twitter or DM us a link. This giveaway ends when registration closes on August 8th at 11:59PM (HST) so make sure to get your TBRs shared before then!
- Giveaway #2: To enter, all you have to do is accumulate at least 500 points. Once all the final scores are calculated, one winner will be chosen from the general pool of entries and one will be chosen from the winning team’s pool.
If you would like to participate, please click on the “Registration” button (above or below) and fill out the registration form with your username, contact information, and team. Don’t forget your username!! It’s how we will be keeping track of your points so it’s very important that it’s a unique name that you can remember. Registration will remain open until August 8, 2020 at 11:59PM (HST).