A hilarious and entertaining graphic novel that is sure to please parents and kids alike.
Thank you so much to TBR and Beyond as well as Dan & Jason for allowing me to be part of this experience and also providing me with a complimentary ARC and media kit!
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power meets Dav Pilkey’s Dog Man in this sidesplitting graphic novel about a young Berzerker who has to rescue her fellow warriors from the evil villain Witch Head before he destroys the world!
Barb is a Berzerker, one of a group of warriors sworn to protect the land of Bailiwick from the scourge of monsters that plagues it. But the fearsome crew seem to have met their match in the nefarious Witch Head. Using power from his magical sword, he tricked the Zerks and took them captive. Only Barb was able to escape—and she took Witch Head’s Shadow Blade with her.
Now it’s up to Barb to free her fellow warriors so they can stop Witch Head from taking over Bailiwick. On the way, she’ll battle vampire goat fiends, snot goblins, and a giant with serious foot odor issues (but don’t mention that to him—he’s very sensitive about it). Luckily, she’s got her best friend, Porkchop the yeti, to help her.
But the power of the Shadow Blade has a mind of its own, and the deeper Barb gets into her quest, the harder it is to keep the blade’s awesome power under control.
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56980444-barb-the-last-berzerker
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1534485716?tag=simonsayscom
- Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/barb-the-last-berzerker-dan-abdo/1138779359;jsessionid=3B8ED9B205C5CBBA7DB3B2313A162071.prodny_store02-atgap13?ean=9781534485716&st=AFF&2sid=Simon%20&%20Schuster_7567305_NA&sourceId=AFFSimon%20&%20Schuster
- Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/Barb-Last-Berzerker-1-Dan-Abdo/9781534485716?ref=grid-view&qid=1629052117198&sr=1-1
- Indigo: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/barb-the-last-berzerker/9781534485716-item.html?ikwid=Barb+the+Last+Berzerker+by+Dan+Abdo+%26+Jason+Patterson&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0#algoliaQueryId=b6bc9db44b9b01ac41570bbfd62dcd07
- IndieBound: https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781534485716?aff=simonsayscom
About the Authors
Dan Abdo and Jason Patterson are long-time partners, best friends and co-creators of the animated comedy series Rocket Monkeys. Their credits also include developing shows for Disney, Sesame Workshop, Fox, and Nickelodeon, not to mention directing lots and lots of animated commercials.
Review (no spoilers)
If you’d like to follow along with the rest of the tour, you can find the tour schedule here.
Whenever I agree to do a tour (or buddy read) for a middle grade book, I’m always a bit skeptical on whether or not it’s a good choice. I’m entering my late 20s and I’ve gotten to the point where my much-beloved YA novels are starting to not have the same shine they once did. Why should middle grade books be any different?
I am so happy that I keep being proven wrong. This book was an absolute hoot.
Barb the Last Berzerker is the story of a young Berzerker (Zerk for short) who finds herself tasked to save her loved one— alone. Thankfully, she befriends a (completely adorable) yeti monster named Pork Chop (😍) who teams up with Barb to help her on her quest. The majority of the graphic novel follows Barb and Pork Chop as they make their way to the North in search of allies, experiencing several episodes of hoodwinks and hijinks on the way.
Even as an adult, I found this book outrageously entertaining. I was laughing out loud by the second page, and I couldn’t help but fall in love with Barb, Pork Chop, and everyone else they ran into along the way. On top of that, the novel tackles several important moral lessons in its chapters. It is full of themes of friendship, loyalty, and compassion. I’d definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of graphic novels, middle grade books, and humor.
Barb the Last Berzerker released on Tuesday! You can grab yourself a copy at any of the purchase links listed above!